What is PALEO?!!
Eat fresh fruits and vegies, seeds and nuts, lean seafoods, meat and game, while avoiding the agrarian pitfalls of dairy, glutens, legumes and refined sugars, all while moderating your caffeine and sodium intake, and you will be surprised at how great you feel, how rested you are, and how much new found energy you have.
There are many great sites and resources to research what PALEO eating is all about, and we aren’t going to devote a lot of space here to explaining it to you. Instead, once you have all the Paleo education you need, then you can spend your time here finding great Paleo recipes.
The best explanation (though long!) on the pros and cons to a PALEO lifestyle can be found here: FITBOMB: What is the Paleo Diet?
In the mean time, here is a partial list of foods that you should focus on adding to your diet, and a list of foods you should avoid:
WHAT TO EAT:
- Lean Grass Fed Beef Cuts like flank, sirloin, london broil and chuck
- Lean Lamb Cuts like chops and roasts
- Lean Pork Cuts like loin, tenderloin and chops
- Lean Poultry like chicken breasts, turkey and game hens
- Game meats like rabbit, bison/buffalo, elk, deer/venison, duck, ostrich, pheasant, quail and wild boar.
- Fresh Wild caught Seafood and Shellfish
- Omega 3 enriched eggs
- Almost all fresh vegetables except potatoes and corn
- Fresh Fruits
- Dried fruits in moderation
- Most Nuts and Seeds NOTE: NO PEANUTS! Peanuts are a legume!
- Olive , avocado, walnut, flaxseed and macadamia nut oils
- Coffee/Tea (unless also giving up caffeine – then stick to herbal teas)
- Red Wine
- NorCal Margaritas
FOODS TO AVOID:
- DAIRY: Butter, Cheese, Cream, Yogurt, Ice Cream, Milk, non dairy creamers, powdered milks, dairy spreads
- CEREAL GRAINS: Barley, Corn, Corn products and Corn syrup, Millet, Oats, Rice and Wild Rice, Rye, Sorghum, Wheat, amranth, Buckwheat, Quinoa
- LEGUMES: All Beans, Peas, Chickpeas, Lentils, Miso, Peanuts and Peanut Butter, Snow Peas, Soybeans and ALL Soy products
- STARCHY TUBERS: Potatoes and Potato products
- PROCESSED AND SALT CONTAINING FOODS: Commercial salad dressings, Deli and processed meats, Hot Dogs and sausages, Ham, Salamis and cured meats, Ketchup, Olives, Pickled foods, Nuts with salt, canned meats and fish,
- BEVERAGES: Sugary Soft Drinks, Beer, canned and bottled juices
- SWEETS: Candy, Sugar, Honey, Agave sweetener, artificial sweeteners