A great Paleo meal can start with a simple salad before your entree. This composed salad took less than 7 minutes total to prepare for 8 people, providing dynamic color, fresh flavors, and exciting textures. And it’s completely customizable to you or your families preferences! Don’t like pears? Slice an avocado, Hate hazelnuts? Substitute pecans, Sour on lemon juice? Try raspberry vinegar! Are you out of frozen raspberries? Throw in a blueberry instead! Its that easy!
For 4 Salads:
- 3-4 cups clean washed baby field greens (hint: buy the big tub, and always keep them on hand!)
- 1 ripe pear – your choice of type. Quarter it, remove core, and fan cut it.
- 32 frozen raspberries (about 1.5 cups)
- 24 toasted hazelnuts (about 3 oz) (NOTE: toast in oven for 5-7 minutes at 350 degrees while preparing rest of salad. Don’t forget them – they burn quick!)
- FOR THE DRESSING: 1 TBS Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 1 TBS Flax oil, 1/2 Lemon for squeezing (place in a cheesecloth to prevent seeds from getting in the salad,) fresh cracked black pepper to taste.
PROCEDURE: Place hazelnuts on sheet pan in heated oven, rinse and spin the greens (use a salad spinner!) set aside. Remove raspberries from freezer (buy a big bag and always keep them on hand!), slice the pear, set aside. In mixing bowl, add clean greens, olive oil and flax oil, toss with tongs to coat all leaves. Add the ground pepper and squeeze lemon into salad. Toss again quickly with tongs to make sure oil and juice and pepper have coated well.
Place equal portions of greens on 4 plates. Arrange raspberries around salad, place a pear fan on each plate, remove hazelnuts from oven, and distribute equally onto salad plates (instead of croutons!)
Serve and enjoy!
NUTRITION INFO: (Per Salad) Calories 174, fat 12.3g, sat. fat 1.2g, cholest 0mg, sodium 21.2mg, carbs 17.4g, Fiber 5.7g, Sugars 8.2g, Protein 2.6g
var _gaq = _gaq || ; _gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-22364678-1']); _gaq.push(['_setDomainName', 'none']); _gaq.push(['_setAllowLinker', true]); _gaq.push(['_trackPageview']);